PDA

View Full Version : Question's for the artists on site, to help me get back into drawing.

JediSpectre117
07-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Hope this is right for asking questions.
So as the title says I want to ask you artists a few questions regarding digital art. Specifically how and what you use for it?
Ok so boring back story, when I was younger I loved to draw and to a lesser extent paint. It was one of my few talents and people complemented me on, some teachers even amazed at my drawings. But when I got into the Academy I started slowing down on it, though my talents did get revived with a picture I now have on my wall and towards the end of my time at the Academy I started getting back into, until 5th year exams and going to college and Iíve not done a lot since attending college four years ago.
But now that Iíve left college I want to get back into, for various reasons.
But one of my biggest issues with drawing with pen, pencil and paper is I can never get the exact detail I want right, if I make a mistake it requires rubbing out which if big can ruin the image. Plus I am fed up with pens running out and pencils needing constantly sharpened.
These things I'm hoping doing digital art I wonít have to worry about. Not only that but I'm hoping that itíll allow me to use my imagination as mistakes and issues become more easily fixed (compared to hand drawing), cause of my annoying want to have things look right I need to look and copy something in order to get the detail I want, doing it from my mind often results in a lot of rubbing out, which is annoying considering the things I can imagine in my mind.
So ultimately I want to see what you lot would suggest using, what software you use and equipment. I have got my eye on a few things but I want peopleís opinion who have been doing digital art for years.
I really do want to get back into drawing again, I mean apart from one work I did at the start of the year, these three were among the last images I did, the oldest dated 5 years ago!!! (Oh I've done others during that time but those were attempts from my mind, and you can only rub out so many times.)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jlayW72PZ2DS53o1ZeWMXa0bcAS_Hc-CLyS3F5u5DA=w1143-h643-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yRlCbrfM65cLAg__1Pvm7_dGZquREjefXBwgUbdY9R8=w830-h643-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YXW3SUtkGiP_TG_tD3vCV-Ql2MJeYs3dvOVlBUdgUb4=w1262-h643-no
The Al is from 2009, Rex and Raptor 2010. Pretty obvious where I copied them from xD

Senoba
07-14-2015, 04:44 PM
I've been doing digital art for about 7 years now and I started off with just MS Paint and free drawing programs.

My first tablet was a Vistablet... kinda crappy but I liked the large size. Larger tablets are generally expensive.

Now I have a Wacom Bamcoo Create, and I love it. I recommend larger size tablets for artists who are used to drawing on paper.

As for programs, there are a lot of free programs like GIMP, FireAlpaca, etc. But I use PaintTool SAI and Adobe Photoshop for my art. I suggest watching tutorials for learning these programs.

Good luck~

T-Rex Terror
07-14-2015, 04:47 PM
I generally just use my mouse to draw, and i use Painttool SAI.

Yolaak Krosis-Drun
07-14-2015, 04:48 PM
The best tools in my eyes are Photoshop or PaintTool SAI. You should try some demos from different art programs to see what you like. My favourite program is Photoshop because... yeah... reasons. ^^ I dunno, I just like it

I am using a Wacom CTL-480S-S Intuos tablet. It does what it should and is a great gadged for beginners who want to get serious.

So thats my equipment, I hope we will see more of your art in the future. =)

BritishQuetzalcoatlus♀
07-14-2015, 04:55 PM
What I use is GIMP and Paint Tool SAI, GIMP is a free software so if your looking for somthing thats like Photoshop GIMP is probably one of the best. SAI is great for shading.
I tend to draw a sketch out on paper then take a picture, then upload it to Google+ on my phone then download it from there onto my laptop, I then use the sketch as a base usually in Paint Tool SAI and use a mouse to go over it. (but thats my method, I dont have a tablet or anything)
Can't wait to see your art in the future ^^

Storm
07-14-2015, 07:38 PM
I use Photoshop CS6 and an older version of a Wacom tablet. Someday I want to invest in a Cintiq, but for now my tablet works just fine. I'd suggest looking through DeviantArt for some good tutorials on working digital, I've always found that site to be helpful if I'm trying out a new technique.

Carolzilla
07-14-2015, 07:58 PM
In the veeery beginning of my deviantart all of my drawings were made on paper then scanned and edited on MS Paint (Yeah...)
but then one day I didn't have a scanner anymore so had to stop doing that!

Then I got a genius tablet (many people complained about it being bad but it worked fine for me, since I was just getting started) and continued to work on MS Paint but then later I switched to GIMP
and another tablet that I don't remember and now I currently have a bamboo wacom tablet, not the fancy ones just a simple one that get its job done.
And right now I mostly use PaintoolSAI for my drawings, and sometimes Photoshop for effects.

So I just reccomend that you get a not super expensive tablet to start with and get used to, and download GIMP since its a free program and deviantart has LOTS of tutorials on it.

Toametru
07-14-2015, 08:08 PM
These people know what they are talking about. If you don't have the money to buy a top notch art-software, you could easily just get the trial version of Photoshop CS6, or just use Gimp, a slightly less complicated, but free version of Photoshop.

Also, if you are skilled at using your hands, you could purchase a tablet for such and get one of those stylus with the rubber ball on the end of them.

Spice_Weasel021
07-14-2015, 08:29 PM
Ive been drawing for over 10 years now and looking back at where I came from, I can only say that I am the prime example of what you can accomplish if you just stick to it and not give up.

I used to spend all my time drawing on paper and then just scanning it with a scanner. But as soon as I moved to digital everyone became a whole lot better.
I use a bamboo Wacom (the 100$ one I think). Its not the most high tech tablet, but its great if your just starting out. Then you can move to bigger stuff in the future. I WOULD suggest you get used to drawing and looking at a screen and not down at your surface. It does take some getting used to but its not impossible.

Id probably use paint tool Sai to start out with. Its free and easy to use. Once you get the hang of it its just riding a bike. I use Manga Studio 5 but thats kind of saved for the big kids. But you can work your way up to it!

But the most important piece of advice I have to offer, USE REFERENCES. Anytime and all the time. No matter what anyone tells you, its not copying and its not stealing. If you source your work you have nothing to fear. References are an artist best friend. If you want to practice drawing dinos, look up art of dinos. Draw out how they look or even if your brave enough maybe draw them but mold it into your own personal art style. Cant think a pose to use or having trouble with one? Look up a ref of that pose and use it! I'm a self taught artist and I owe everything I have to using references.

CloudedQuagga
07-14-2015, 08:30 PM
I myself use a Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Small, it's great for beginners and it's perfect for me and does what I want it to. I use PaintTool SAI for my drawing software, takes a minute or two to get used to but after that it's very easy.

JediSpectre117
07-17-2015, 03:06 PM
A big thank you to you all for responding, it really helped out. :D
I went and downloaded that GIMP software and I settled on the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Small Graphics Tablet. It arrived yesterday (got off of Amazon and I have prime, no it was not part of that sale) and I've already gotten stuck in to 3 pieces, one I've just finished, an update to the above allosaur.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/aCdMQS0DdKGMtTcg2nyKy-qHHIBWJOmMAIhrcFtEbFs=w1297-h643-no
(I'm just going to say one thing I didn't miss, MY HAND HURTS LIKE MAD!!)

Thanks again for your help really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get more works on the way and finished, and even create my own thread xD (Will wait until I have a bit more, I'm going to have to experiment on styles.)

LightningDragon16
07-17-2015, 10:34 PM
I've always been into drawing ever since I was a child. It's always been a passion and talent of mine. For the longest time, I always used pencil and paper (nothing too fancy, just regular printer paper and a mechanical pencil). Pens were always messy for me and I loved my drawings too much to potentially "mess it up in pen or colored pencil". As I got older, I started paying attention to more detail after finishing my sketches and even got bold into exploring the world of colored pencils.

Unfortunately, I don't have much time now to draw due to college classes but whenever I have free time, I'll try to draw something. Recently, I've decided to explore the unknown realms of digital art and tablets. I've got to say that the transition to them will take some time (It did for me) since it requires precise hand-eye coordination (especially with a tablet where you can't see what you're drawing on the tablet surface). With time and practice, I have improved and continue to learn every day.

I use a Wacom Intuos Medium tablet since I like the room for drawing space and the programs I use are SAI Paint and Photoshop CC 2014. I'm new with photoshop, so that will take some time for me to learn. I drew my avatar in SAI and I tend to like it more than photoshop since the line art and tools tend to create smooth lines. I wish you good luck with your new tablet and with your future drawings. At first you don't succeed, keep trying and don't give up. Unless you need a break because your hand hurts. xD

Dakotaraptorian
07-20-2015, 06:44 AM
I want in on the digital art age too. Jedi? How easy was it to make the transition? I am afraid of the unknown! I already have paint tool sai, but I am afraid to open it. Is it as hard as attempting to learn a program like blender?