Close
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Craves that mineral Kaitou Cat♂'s Avatar

Monster Hunter Thread

For monster hunter lovers of all kinds. Anyone here have a personal favorite game of the monster hunter series or maybe have one they're playing right now? How about a favorite monster from any of the series or have some funny stories to tell from playing alone or with friends? Share it all~!

As for me, my current and first monster hunter game was monster hunter 3 ultimate and I plan on getting 4 for the 3ds when it comes out next year. Already have the special edition pre-ordered and everything. <3
    Also of course favorite monsters would be barioth and nargacuga.~

Post may be edited later but first comes rest.

That one place with the stuff in the area
    I've loved Monster Hunter ever since I got the first game in '06 or '07 (I don't remember exactly when, but I was 11 or 12). No video game has ever challenged me like Monster Hunter, and all of the monsters are so freakin' cool. I've played, in order, MH1, MH3, MHFU, that phone MH, and MH3U. I haven't been playing it as much due to being in college and hitting a wall on a G-rank monster which I can't think of at the moment.

I'm also definitely going to get MH4U when it comes out, and perhaps we should start a 3DS friend code (or in-game, depending how it works) sharing thing here, so that we can all hunt together. I did it a few times on MH3 with the likes of Tij, Link, Kadro (if I'm remembering correctly), and another guy named TopHatRaptor, and it was always fun.

My favorite, despite his fight being boring as Hell, is the Lao-Shan Lung. He is gigantic and looks badass, and it doesn't hurt that his basic form is red, my favorite color. Up in second place is probably Rathalos, due to both color and just how fun he can be to fight. After that is just a giant cluster that I don't really think about.
    Theflickasaurus is back! Carrying over 10 Slurpee points, 2 Tyrannobeast Medals, and 2 Lost Time Medallions

Quote Originally Posted by Theflickasaurus View Post
    I've loved Monster Hunter ever since I got the first game in '06 or '07 (I don't remember exactly when, but I was 11 or 12). No video game has ever challenged me like Monster Hunter, and all of the monsters are so freakin' cool. I've played, in order, MH1, MH3, MHFU, that phone MH, and MH3U. I haven't been playing it as much due to being in college and hitting a wall on a G-rank monster which I can't think of at the moment.

I'm also definitely going to get MH4U when it comes out, and perhaps we should start a 3DS friend code (or in-game, depending how it works) sharing thing here, so that we can all hunt together. I did it a few times on MH3 with the likes of Tij, Link, Kadro (if I'm remembering correctly), and another guy named TopHatRaptor, and it was always fun.

My favorite, despite his fight being boring as Hell, is the Lao-Shan Lung. He is gigantic and looks badass, and it doesn't hurt that his basic form is red, my favorite color. Up in second place is probably Rathalos, due to both color and just how fun he can be to fight. After that is just a giant cluster that I don't really think about.
    Yeah this series can really be quite a pain in the butt sometimes.. *glares daggers at Freedom Unite for the PSP*
    Also yeah was kind of considering that.. Maybe like, have a thread for people to post their console names/friend codes along with maybe a short list of online compatible games they have for that system that they'd enjoy playing with others. Heck maybe even include steam names or such just because why not?

Huh, never fought against that one personally but judging from the videos it does seem a bit meh, or at least it does in comparison to say, the ceadeus family? In all honestly though that's the only one I've faced so far aside from jhen mohran, not having gotten quite far enough for even dire miralis.[I procrastinate with games a lot] Also omg yes, not sure why but the rathalos is hella fun though they can really mess up your day if you forget your antidotes.. xD

Personally I kinda wish to be able to see and fight is the garuba daora because holy hell, it's so shiny. I MEAN LOOK AT IT! IT'S SO AWESOME AND SHINY AND EVEN HAS SHINY DUST THAT FLIES AROUND IT.

I can't get my Wii-remotes to connect for even a minute now, so until I get that fixed, I'm screwed over. Believe me though, I was a beast at this. I was capable of taking down an Agnaktor without much hassle. I even have witnesses who can back me up.

Pangea! You're here (assuming you're Pangea25 from the old forum)! I knew I was forgetting somebody and I felt bad about it. Good hunting with you before, and I look forward to going at it again at another point in time! If only Tri's servers were still up...

And I agree Kaitou, some of those ones available only in Online mode look awesome! I wish we could get those games here. I personally want to hunt the Raviente. He looks awesome, and videos of the fights seem awesome!

Theflickasaurus is back! Carrying over 10 Slurpee points, 2 Tyrannobeast Medals, and 2 Lost Time Medallions

My first game was Monster Hunter Freedom, though I spent most of my game hours in Monster Hunter Freedom 2and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. I did put about a hundred hours into Monster Hunter Tri. I should have played it more. Looking back on it, its gameplay is much more refined than the PSP games and it did fix a lot of the gripes I had with the PSP games.

I'd love to play Frontier and I really want the pet wyverns. It beats up elder dragons in hilarious ways and appears to actually be useful.

Design-wise, my current favorite monsters are the alatreon, the gore magala, and the akantor. I would like to fight the dhisufiroa or the g-rank fatalis, but those are Asia-exclusive, so I'll never be able to fight them. The monsters I most enjoyed fighting were alatreon, teostra, deviljho, and nargacuga.
    Last edited by Terraform Jupiter; 10-03-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Who of you are all also going to be insta-buying 4G upon US release?! So much hype. The amount of monsters implemented into this one is amazing! The jump attack mechanics look really fun. I myself am most excited for the Charge-Ax. I wanted a new shield type weapon.

I have never understood why people enjoy a game solely about seeking out random animals, and then butchering them.

I mean yeah, the monster designs are often neat, and the environments creative, but the entire premise just seems rather twisted to me, like, you really should not be enjoying what the game is making you do.

Because it's a fairly high quality game and the gameplay is fun Trisdino.

You fight monsters, you fight monsters with friends, and you craft and/or find cool weapons and stuff with them with armor designs that are flippin' amazing. The fights are very very intense and the animations for both players and the animals are fun as well.

There's hundreds of other games out there that don't have this kind of thing, if you don't like it, play one of those instead.

Please... PLEASE don't try to start something in this thread too, Tris. PLEASE for the love of all that is fluffy. Just stop and think before you make a post. Say to yourself "Hmm, will this get me in trouble? Will this annoy any other people in this thread that are fans of whatever I'm putting down? Am I just trying to start trouble for fun?" If any of those , and more, are anywhere near yes think before posting or just don't do it. It saves a thread from going completely downhill and saves people from getting in trouble (and me a headache)
    Last edited by Spikeheila; 10-04-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Please be sure to read the Rules thoroughly.

So me expressing a lack of understanding over the entertainment value is a perceived attempt at starting something?

I think perhaps you are a bit too sensitive on that subject, I had no deeper intent. I personally do not see how it is amusing, just as I personally do not find hunting games to be entertaining.

It's not really a hunting game at all.. They're action RPGs. If they were hunting games they'd be under Sports/Hunting.
    You fight enemies, they drop items, you go on quests, have different weapons to use and collect.. Monster Hunter is an RPG man. It's as much a hunting game as any Final Fantasy is.

(A big underwater fight starts at 4 minutes in.)

Look at those animations, look at that intensity, listen to that music!

Before putting a game down, try doing a bit of research on it first.

Also, I've never played a MH game before, though i want to get one for the Wii U when I finally get one. So no this isn't fangirling because I'm not an actual fan of the series and hold it near and dear to my heart, I want to play with my guyfriend and have fun.
    Last edited by Spikeheila; 10-04-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Please be sure to read the Rules thoroughly.

Well, it is per definition a hunting game, in that it is a game in which you hunt. But no, it obviously does not fall into the realistic hunting sim category.

And yeah, I have seen the game, looks pretty neat - Not personally my type of game mind you, but I do not see anything wrong with it. All I was saying is that I do not really see the appeal of a game where all you do is hunt and kill dozens upon dozens of animals, often when they are not even in the quest at hand, and just happen to be in the vicinity. I am not saying those games should not exist, but I do not see it as a very appealing concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinymad View Post
    Who of you are all also going to be insta-buying 4G upon US release?! So much hype. The amount of monsters implemented into this one is amazing! The jump attack mechanics look really fun. I myself am most excited for the Charge-Ax. I wanted a new shield type weapon.
    Got the special edition pre-ordered and set to ship within a day. Kind of mad though that it's online only because you gotta pay extra for shipping and then wait for a week for the cheaper options.. I wish you could have the option to put down a small deposit and have it shipped to the store and pay the rest off there. [also I say small deposit because I asked about this matter before and they claimed that they can't keep track of an already paid for item on their computers or something after it's delivered to the store so an employee could possibly just waltz right out with your fully paid for item]

Oh and just to toss this out there, I didn't really keep track of all the monsters or such that are going to be in 4g because of wanting it to be a surprise so if you could all kindly spoiler tag discussions revealing any such information about the game[but mechanics n stuff alright], that would be great. ; u;

A bit late but just letting everyone know about this little gem!

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds...clusive/119889

Granted it's unavailable at the moment a lot as scalpers seem to be buying to resell on amazon a lot but now there seems to be a limit as to how many can be purchased per account so if they get more in there's a chance.
    Luckily managed to get one pre-ordered myself and am eagerly awaiting it's release.

[also sorry for the double post.;;]

edit - quote borrowed from the review section
    "I got a very helpful tip from an EB Games employee though!! He said that they would be selling more in short bursts online, and that I should keep periodically checking. He was correct! On Monday around 1pm, right here on Gamestop online, the option to "Add to cart" became available again."
    Last edited by Kaitou Cat♂; 02-04-2015 at 03:26 AM.

I've been playing the demo for a bit, thanks to a friend who got an extra code. I absolutely love the demo, and am stoked for the game coming out on the 15th. I hope to be able to play with all of you when it comes out.

Thread Information