Close
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

The Digimon thread

I wasn't sure where to make this thread but I guess it can go in related media since I'll also talk about the games.

About the series: After Digimon's 15th birthday on August 1st it was released a teaser and apparently it's about the first kids from the first adventure series but older and at the end hinting about a new serie that will be released on Spring of 2015.
    Also in the website that shows the teaser (http://digimon-adventure.net/) if you skip the video it loads a page with an egg that you need to click everyday until it hatches, it was already hatched once and showed a picture teasing us a little bit more.
    Now theres another egg to be clicked that will probably contain another teaser once it's hatched again.

I'm trying my best to not get hyped about this, right now I'm mostly curious on how all the kids are going to look now and how the story is going to be since, for those who don't know, in the finale of the second adventure season showed them solving the problems in the digital world and then they are shown as adults so I really wonder how they are going to make this series around them being on their high school years, is it gonna follow the second's season story or it's gonna be slightly/completely different?
    Either way I'm excited about this.

About the games: Unfortunately the most interesting recent digimon games are exclusive in Japan, that is Digimon World Re: Digitize Decode for 3DS and Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth for PSVita.
    But a digimon fan created a Petition to send to Bandai to show that people outside from Japan are still interested in digimon games and that we want them localized.

It kiiiiinnnndaaaaa worked, since recently it has been announced a new digimon game and that is Digimon All-Star Rumble (based on the fighting series Rumble Arena) and will be released for PS3 and XBox360.

Doesn't show in the video but there will be 12 base Digimon, and a total of 32 forms.
    It wasn't exactly the game most fans were expecting but I'll definitely get it once it's released but I'm a bit upset about the lack of 'base' digimon since in Digimon Rumble Arnea 2 there were waaaaay more characters to choose from.
    But hey at least Gomamon turns into Plesiomon in this game!
    Avatar animation taken from here: http://fav.me/da3wron

can someone explain what the hell digimon is please

Quote Originally Posted by nachomeep View Post
    can someone explain what the hell digimon is please
    it´s like Pokemon but with an actually decent anime and worse games.

Oh, well then, the opposite of what I want. Okay.

The land of dead flamingos, curse you Gulf Stream!
    well hopefully even if the release(s) on PS3 were localized it wouldn't be region locked (most PS3 games aren't)

Resident Weeb**** and all around general airhead, yah I'm that chick.

Quote Originally Posted by Armonite View Post
    it´s like Pokemon but with an actually decent anime and worse games.
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomeep View Post
    Oh, well then, the opposite of what I want. Okay.
    That depends, unfortunately Digimon games end up waaay different than each other each time.
    But I had lots of fun with Digimon World 3 and Digimon Data Squad, and even the Rumble Arena series. There was also a game released last year (I think) based on the first anime that was also good but it's only in Japanese sooooooo yeeeaaah.

And Digimon is not like Pokemon but I don't want to get into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by stargatedalek View Post
    well hopefully even if the release(s) on PS3 were localized it wouldn't be region locked (most PS3 games aren't)
    So far only All-star Rumble is gonna be for PS3 but that game is already gonna be localized.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolzilla View Post
    And Digimon is not like Pokemon but I don't want to get into that.
    Well, both basically had the same premise and they share a lot of similarities like the "Evolving" thing and Jrpg based games, both are about kids using monsters to fight, its the same concept but handled in a different way, digimon anime was a lot more complex and had different story from Pokemon. About the games i remember playing Digimon World for DS and its was decent but not a competitor for Pokemon stuff, always been interested about trying Digimon World Re: Digitize to see if that one could change my mind, but even with the petition getting lots of support it doesnt seem likely we ever have it localized.

Quote Originally Posted by Armonite View Post
    Well, both basically had the same premise and they share a lot of similarities like the "Evolving" thing and Jrpg based games, both are about kids using monsters to fight, its the same concept but handled in a different way, digimon anime was a lot more complex and had different story from Pokemon. About the games i remember playing Digimon World for DS and its was decent but not a competitor for Pokemon stuff, always been interested about trying Digimon World Re: Digitize to see if that one could change my mind, but even with the petition getting lots of support it doesnt seem likely we ever have it localized.
    I never played Digimon World for DS, only Digimon World 1, 2 and 3 and each of them were way different from each other XD especially the first one but I had fun with them (but the first one is defenitely the most complicated).

But Digimon was not created on the purpose for a game (it was first a mangá and then the anime and games were made), while Pokemon did (it was first a game and then the anime and mangá were made), so maybe that's why it never won in the gaming side. Howerever I love both series especially when I was a kid.

It's also worth noting that this year is Digimon's 15th Anniversary. :>

I've always been a big fan of both Digimon and Pokemon, and I definitely agree that the former has the better anime series of the two (one can only have Ash as the protagonist for so long...). I can say I like the majority of the anime, save for Season 4 and Hunters. If I had an actual Digimon partner, I'd go with Dracomon in a heartbeat.

I've played Digimon Rumble Arena 2 and Digimon World 4 (this was a bit of an oddball game for me) before, and I look forward to trying All-Star Rumble when it comes out in a few weeks. I do agree that All-Star Rumble's roster is rather lacking compared to Arena 2. Was disappointed to see a lot of the ones from that game wouldn't be coming back. Also IIRC, if the petition reaches a certain number didn't Bandai say they would consider localizing the games? I'd definitely like to get Re: Digitize for my 3DS if it pulls through.

Ah yes, can't believe the anime was released in 1999 XD
    I just hope the new digimon series is hopefully good, since it looks like its going to use the first digidestined again.

Digimon World 4 is also the most different from the game series, I liked the idea of being the digimon but at the same time I hated how the evolution system worked in that game bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonith View Post
    Also IIRC, if the petition reaches a certain number didn't Bandai say they would consider localizing the games? I'd definitely like to get Re: Digitize for my 3DS if it pulls through.
    It's nothing definitive so far, but this petition did caught the attention of Bandai Europe so if there is more people signing they can show to Bandai Japan that there is still lots of people interested in Digimon so hopefully they might consider someday localizing them or other future digimon games. (All-Star Rumble probably was easier since you don't need to translate that much, since the other two games have waaaaay too much text and story)

Ah yes, can't believe the anime was released in 1999 XD
    I just hope the new digimon series is hopefully good, since it looks like its going to use the first digidestined again.

Digimon World 4 is also the most different from the game series, I liked the idea of being the digimon but at the same time I hated how the evolution system worked in that game bleh.

It's nothing definitive so far, but this petition did caught the attention of Bandai Europe so if there is more people signing they can show to Bandai Japan that there is still lots of people interested in Digimon so hopefully they might consider someday localizing them or other future digimon games. (All-Star Rumble probably was easier since you don't need to translate that much, since the other two games have waaaaay too much text and story)
    If anything, they can't disappoint me anymore than how Hunters had already at this point lol. That's a pretty low standard to beat in my book.

For me, the real head scratcher in World 4 for me was the fact that you didn't see Agumon shooting any Pepper Breaths/Baby Flames. Instead of using your obvious pick in natural, Digimon powers, you're instead using a handmade weapon. You could literally replace the Digimon players in the game with generic RPG characters and the plot would still work lol. And ditto on the evolution system. x-x

And ah, that's a bit of a shame. Still, the hope's there and I'm definitely still all for localization. Let us have some of the goods too, Japan! >.<

Japan give us some digi love tooooo. /slap/

I don't know how Hunters is so don't have an opinion on that XD

Yeah digimon using weapons/swords was really odd, I mean the game was kinda fun playing but it didn't feel like a digimon game especially how the stupid evolution system worked I prefered the one in the Data Squad game.

Try-ceratops
    I wonder what new varieties of digivolution, maybe somehow take advantage of the one in Data Squad and tweak it to make a unique type digivolution that would be about digivolution paths

Maybe try using that and also how Digimon World 1 did evolutions, depending on how you trained and trated your digimon it will unlock certain digivolution paths

But the gameplay not as complicated as Digimon World 1 because that game frustrated me way too much XD especially when my Agumon turned into Numemon because I didn't know where the toilets were!

Maybe try using that and also how Digimon World 1 did evolutions, depending on how you trained and trated your digimon it will unlock certain digivolution paths

But the gameplay not as complicated as Digimon World 1 because that game frustrated me way too much XD especially when my Agumon turned into Numemon because I didn't know where the toilets were!
    I think keeping it simple and consistent would be the best route to handle Digivolution in games. Not exactly as simple as Pokemon's methods (since Digimon has A LOT of Digivolution methods), but with Digimon's elements still tacked onto it. And well, actually list information on what not to do if you want to avoid evolving your Agumon into slug poop lol.

Thread Information