Close

Calling all PC Games Clans!

For the newer members who don't know, the Primal Carnage Games was originally a tournament between the Devs and a community clan. If you participated you got some nice goodies like temporary forum VIP (equivalent to Gold Member) and if you beat the devs you'd get some skin codes. On other occasions the winners of this competition would have yet another tournament between each other.

A few days ago it Dinosauriac posted this message on his "Developer Answers" thread:
    Q: Will the Primal Carnage Games still be a thing?

We will likely be hosting some similar community events, but it's unlikely the Primal Games will return. If they do, then the tournament would probably take a different shape. The old formula could be a bit nightmarish to organize and was pretty taxing on the developers, who needed to be there for every match over the course of a weekend.
    While this is not a direct confirmation that the Primal Carnage Games are cancelled, the odds of it being cancelled permanently is much more likely.

As you can see from Dinosauriac's post, the main issue with the Primal Games is that it would take away a lot of time from the developers. I'd like other clans to help figure out an alternative that'd be fun for all that a dev or two can host but not having the entire developer team play.

Two great examples off the top of my head are CvD and Protect the Tyrant as these can be overseen by the developers allowing them to give prizes, livestreams, and all that jazz.

The absolute requirements for these tournaments are:

It MUST be a competitive game between community clans.
    No developers must play the game UNLESS it is only one. (i.e. Dev Juggernaut)

Would really like to see what other groups may have to share.
    Last edited by Primitive; 10-08-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Former Staff Member Maniacal-Max's Avatar
    Hi Primitive.

Thought I'd just jump in here as I can lend a little insight into your problem.

As I was the one who called a halt to the Primal Games at the end of September last year I think it deserves an explanation.

When the Games were put on hold it was, at the time, only a temporary measure. The Games were very taxing for those involved with running it and we ended up deciding to take 1 month off. Unfortunately when time for the October 2013 Games came around we had patch 1.3 which caused serious balance issues for the game so we decided to hold off until it was fixed (So here we are I suppose). So my point is this is the reason the games were put on and why they have never returned.

Also when Dinosauriac mentions that the games were "taxing on the developers" you mustn't read that as "that games took valuable time away from the games development". The Primal Games did not impact development at all. Coders, 3D modelers, level designers working on things rarely participated in the Games, when they did it was because they had the free time, as many people who took part or followed the Primal Games at the time will know they were run by community organizers and populated by members of the QA team to organize and fill the ranks of the "LWM Home Team" as a full roster of hard at work devs with a lot on their plate would not be available on any given event date. Now if Dinosauriac says that the format of the Games would have to change (If they return at all which is unlikely in his own words) it would be more likely the case that they do not currently have people dedicated to the running of the community they way LWM once had during the time of the Games, so critical developers WOULD have to take the time presumably to provide a similar experience which is extremely unlikely to happen no matter who or indeed where you are. (It wasn't likely 18 months ago, it won't be any more likely now).

Oh, there's 1 more thing, I like your new Primal Games rank and gold access... I won't say anything.

Thanks for the background on the whole situation, Max. If they don't have enough members, I still think it'd be really nice for the devs to "sponsor" community matches by overseeing it but not doing much of the planning, organizing, etc. but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Oh, there's 1 more thing, I like your new Primal Games rank and gold access... I won't say anything.
    Wah?

Quote Originally Posted by Primitive View Post
    On other occasions the winners of this competition would have yet another competition which would result in an amazing prize, like that of the Cliche Novaraptor skin.
    I'm assuming you meant that Cliché had to win a team vs. team tournament that took place after defeating the Home Team in order to win that prize. The prize for defeating the Home Team in Primal Games 6 was the opportunity to design a skin, and Cliché was the only team that defeated them that month.

I'll fix that up but then what happened if you won the team vs. team tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Primitive View Post
    I'll fix that up but then what happened if you won the team vs. team tournament?
    That only happened once and it was for feathered raptor keys for the winning team

So what I'm wondering is how do people make a server without the dedicated server? Some in depth info would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by asalspammer View Post
    So what I'm wondering is how do people make a server without the dedicated server? Some in depth info would be needed.
    Another spambot ^

I'd like to see the primal games up again, but it seems unlikely, I guess one can hope though.

Primal Games would be nice, but for new Clan leaders and Clans *cough* it'd be kinda difficult without some serious time to practice. So if these do come back, there should be some sort of announcement (or you could tell me in mumble Primative )

Thread Information