Close

Differences Between Prehistoric Marine Reptiles

My guide for carnivorous marine reptiles

Mosasaur

Moved like a snake. Eel or fish like tail fluke. Very territorial and in a large range of sizes. Short necked.

Ichthyosaur

Moved like a fish. Often resembled a reptilian dolphin. Large eyes and varying tail flukes. Short necked.

Nothosaur

Moved and looked like a crocodilian. No tail fluke but webbed feet. Neck length varied with species.

Placodont

Varied in shape. Often lizard or turtle like. Swam like a turtle. Short neck.

To be continued...

Edit: Pliosaur

Large with crocodilian snout. Moved like a seal. Usually short necked. Either had little or no tail fluke. Some species lived in fresh water.

Plesiosaur

Swam like a seal. Long necked. Large but sometimes smaller. Mostly no tail fluke but some species might have had one.

Polycotylid

My personal favorites. Short necked. Looked like pliosaur but related to plesiosaur. Small and swam like a seal. Fluke in some species.

To be continued...

Thalattosaur

Variable neck size. Paddled as it swam. Sometimes toothless. Had a small tail fluke. Had webbed feet but no flippers. Looked like a lizard.

Atopodentatus

Swam like crocodile. Zipper like teeth. Short neck.

Tanystropheus

Walked or paddled through the sea. Long necked. Long tail with no fluke. Originally thought to be a pterosaur.

I think I'll take a break for a while. Sorry I don't know a lot about some of these.
    To be continued...

Edit: My little bro thinks this is copyright. These photos are obviously not made by me.
    "Juvia lives for the ones that she loves! You've got to as well. If you have love in your life, you must keep on living!

Edit: Hupehsuchia

Paddled with its front limbs. Similar to icthyosaurs. Small tail fluke, webbed feet, and a long rostrum
    "Juvia lives for the ones that she loves! You've got to as well. If you have love in your life, you must keep on living!

I'd like to see an evolutionary tree of how they're all related to each other. Not the species per se, but the groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrozito View Post
    I'd like to see an evolutionary tree of how they're all related to each other. Not the species per se, but the groups.
    I could try something when I'm finished. The only problem is that some of them aren't specifically categorized in any groups.

Part two is coming later today!

Turtles

Hard shell. Had flippers or webbed feet. Lived in salt and freshwater. Usually short necked.

Crocodillians and Crocodilloformes

Could be fresh or salt water. Occasionally had a tail fluke. Semiaquatic. Long toothed snout.

Wow, who knew it would be so hard to post 1-2 photos and 3-4 sentences underneath? Sorry about the hold up. It can be hard to find anything other than the average plesiosaur to list. Also, sometimes I think I found something new when it's really a variant of something I posted.

Welp, it's been a while.

Sea Snakes

Like turtles, they still exist. Unlike most marine reptiles, they can function on land. They have no limbs, and must stream through the ocean.

Marine Iguana

ANOTHER modern day animal. While most iguanas have swimming adaptations, the marine iguana can live in the ocean. Also semi-aquatic. Feeds on algae.

Again, I'm sorry I have to use living creatures to keep this going. I can't seem to find anything new.

Great photos and descriptions of these dinosaurs.

#saurheads #dinosaurs #trex #dinosaurclothings #triceratops

www.saurheads.com
    www.facebook.com/saurheads
    www.instagram.com/saurheads
    www.pintrest.com/saurheads
    www.tumblr.com/saurheads

Thread Information