Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Former Staff Member Maniacal-Max's Avatar

Subject 9 Rediscovered

Hi guys, I was digging through some old files and found the very first thing I ever did for Primal Carnage.

Way back in May 2010 there was a call for writers for the game, I was technically no writer at that point but I decided to give it a shot so in an hour or 2 I cobbled together a rough, unchecked piece in wordpad revolving around the supposed history and origins of the dinosaurs in the game. It's VERY rough and unfinished but it was enough for people to be stuck with me around here for the following 4 years, it was never used and was already posted publicly at some point, as well as the fact it was never written while I was working for the game, I thought I'd throw it at you guys, it's an interesting segment of early Primal Carnage development.

Just remember this is a draft piece that was never developed, so it's rather raw and unrefined.

So, for your enjoyment, I present...

Subject 9

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The button had been pushed.

High up in the air, subject 9 was closing with considerable speed on its target. It had already been logged before the incident had even begun that it had gone rogue and ventured away from its designated path, a story intricately conceived in every detail. This, of course, was untrue. Subject 9 was, in reality, being monitored very closely by the control team who we're very interested in how it will perform. And as it approached its' target the reputation of the facility was severely at stake. After many disastrous performances, if subject 9 failed, the project would be terminated for good.

It was just after dawn when the passengers of the flight noticed it from a distance.

An Island.

The plane, a large passenger jet, had been forced to a low altitude due to, according to the pilot, engine troubles. It was a welcome change of pace to have something other than clouds and sky to look out at. Suddenly, however, the calm was broken as a loud shriek pierced the cabin. As the co-pilot checked his instruments he confirmed it didn't come from the plane itself. He scanned the horizon for the source, he saw it, but all too late.

The plane shook as if from an explosion, the passengers screamed as the plane lost control, blood curdling cries of terror could still be heard distinctly from the flight cabin. The passengers watched in horror as blood streaked along the outside of the windows, and the desecrated body of the co-pilot flew past them impacting a wing. Gunshots we're fired in the cabin and that same shrieking could be heard, except this time much louder and obviously coming from the cabin. The plane shook again and this time it began to dip and lose altitude, the passengers we're helpless as they approached the ground.

The plane impacted in an open area of the jungle, the tail snapping off by the force of the impact. It continued sliding along the plains until it reached a rocky area where the right wing along with most of the entire right side of the plane, passengers with it, was brutally sheared off. The plane rolled over on its left ripping off the remaining wing. The screams we're no longer audible over the rumbling of the ground beneath, the air rushing through the exposed side of the plane and the buckling and twisting of metal.

The plane eventually came to a halt in a boggy swamp area. The survivors grabbed all they could and managed to haul themselves out of the wreckage onto dry land.

Covered in mud and, in some cases, blood the remaining passengers of the flight, at less than 20, were mostly still traumatized by what had just happened to them. Before they could gather their thoughts a low, methodical thudding could be heard echoing all around them. Then they saw it, visible above the tree line, it was a large military helicopter. The group felt huge relief at the sight of their rescue, and some began jumping and waving their arms. The chopper approached the crash site, hovering roughly 30 feet above them; it released cables holding a large crate beneath it, sending it hurtling towards the ground with a loud thud. The chopper then began to move off. The group was confused but were still happy that someone knew they were here and they had some aid. They raced over to the crate and forced it open, their optimism soon faded as they saw what was inside. It was filled to the brim with weapons; Pistols, machine guns, grenades, bows and arrows, dynamite, among many more.

Why had they dropped a crate full of weapons on their crash site?

What was going on here?

They would soon find out.

It was little more than moments before it began and the ground started to shake as it approached. Some members of the group took the opportunity to grab some of the weapons supplied to them, others were still too traumatized or in shock to realize what was going on. Through the tree's, about 500 yards away, appeared the colossal yet impossible figure, instantly recognizable by everyone. Remaining members of the group dashed over to the weapons crate and grabbed anything they thought they could handle. A few just stood frozen by blind terror as the ominous form of a Tyrannosaurus stood at a distance staring at them menacingly. There was something not quite right about it though, apart from the fact that they were standing in the middle of a jungle staring at a T.rex. Around its neck was a metal collar, clearly man made, but before this line of thinking could be completed the T.rex let out a deafening roar, some members of the group began to run, others quickly grabbed for bigger guns, one member hauled out of the box a large multi-barreled mini-gun which, conveniently, had already been rigged to fire. The T.rex began to move towards them, slowly picking up speed, the rest of the group ran in the direction of the others, all except the man with the mini-gun who, standing his ground and still dripping from the swamp, began to unleash a hailstorm of bullets, but not experienced with such a weapon his aim left much to be desired.

From the group still running the screams were loud but lasted only a moment, and they could clearly hear that the T-rex was back on the move in their direction. They reached the rocky area which they had passed earlier,littered with wreckage and bodies of the the plans painful landing. They followed a cliff around to their right and passed through a small opening into another dense forest area, hoping that the T.rex wouldn't be able to follow them. Here they met up with the rest of the group that had ran first.

They stood there over their dead bodies, or what was left of them, strewn over the ground, blood still dripping from the walls. They heard rustling from the bushes and raised their weapons, some of them shaking, and just waited. The T-rex could now be heard approaching from behind, they turned around to face it, only to be reassured that it could not penetrate the narrow gap in the cliff. At that moment a member of the group at the rear screamed as he was pulled backwards to the ground, they turned just in time to see him being dragged into the trees by a large raptor which had the same collar around its neck as the T.rex, only smaller. They opened fire on it but it was already gone, they just heard the sounds of flesh being ripped and screams being silenced. The gunfire had revealed only 1 thing though, judging by the vicious screeches coming from the bushes it was clear that there was much more than just one of them out there.

So they ran.

As they did so they could hear the rustling in the trees, a Raptor leaped out and pinned one of them, but it was swiftly gunned down. Another two could be seen chasing them from behind, one of the group wielding a machine gun turned and took them down; they collapsed in a heap on the ground. He turned with a smile on his face when he was instantly swept aside by a Raptors leap, both of them disappearing from view. There were now only a few survivors left as they emerged into an open area, as they reached the centre of the clearing they heard the T.rex ahead of them, they stopped in their tracks and looked behind them. The raptors had stopped at the tree line, maybe they were spooked by the Rex? Either way it was not good for them. They again stood in a standoff, back to back, guns at the ready. The T.rex could now be heard breathing somewhere in the trees close by, but a new sound was heard, off to the side a low grumbling noise and stomping was getting louder. Slowly, and seemingly with purpose, two long horns pierced the trees followed by the distinctive crest of a Triceratops.

What was going on here?

The Triceratops slowly circled the group; yet another mechanical collar could be seen around its neck. The T.rex and the Raptor Hoard remained still, up above the now familiar shrieking of a pack of Pterosaurs, circling like Vultures, confirmed that these were definitely no mere animals, there was coordination at work here. Simultaneously the entire group of Dinosaurs let out a loud volley of combined roars and calls.

The Triceratops squared its sights on the group, lowered its head and began to charge. The group scattered out of its path guns firing, it set its sights on one target, and followed him, impaling him through the chest. The group continued firing at it from behind, they we're doing damage but not enough to slow it down, it turned, dead body hanging from its now red left horn and shook him off, ready for another charge. Again it lowered its head and again it picked a target. This time it swiped a woman with a sideways with the flick of its enormous head, she flew into the trees where the Raptors were waiting. She could be heard screaming as they ripped her apart alive. Another member of the dwindling group pulled the pin on a grenade and threw it at the Triceratops just as it was slowing down. It exploded next to it just as it was turning, it began violently shaking its head as if in pain. The now severely damaged metallic collar fell to the ground. The creature began acting differently, it turned and pointed its gaze on the group of Raptor who, somehow, seemed to exchange worried looks to one another. It charged at them, They scattered as it took a few of them out, the T.rex turned towards the group who had started to run, leaving in the same direction the Triceratops had come from, the T-rex took chase.

As they emerged out of the tree's they saw a large facility some way off over a large open expanse of grassland, hearing the T-rex approaching they decided to make a run for it. After just over 100 yards they we're assaulted by the Pterosaurs who swiftly dispatched with another survivor. there was now only 3 of them left, armed, between them, with a shotgun, a pistol, two grenades, and a bow, sadly they had just lost their last machine gun as it disappeared into the skies strapped to the dead body in the Pterosaurs beak. They turned to face to other two flying assailants. The first was taken down with a few shotgun blasts; they dove to the ground surviving the second by inches. A woman in the group held up her bow and with precision aim send an arrow deep into its body, where it fell to the ground with bone shattering force. Their victory was short lived as they were reminded of the T.rex as it crashed out of the trees at full ferocity. They continued running towards the facility, hoping it would be their salvation, but the T.rex was fast, and was gaining ground fast. They were nearly at the gates when it reached them and with one loud snap of its jaws it crushed a young man and tossed him aside, the man with the shotgun turned and unleashed everything he had. The Rex turned and knocked him off his feet with a swing of its head, he then finished him off with a tremendous stomp. It turned towards the final survivor, the woman, who all this time had continued towards the gates, and gave chase one last time. She ran, throwing down her weapon to run faster, the T.rex was gaining on her.

She reached the gates and ran through only to be greeted by an army of soldiers. She turned facing the T.rex who had suddenly stopped dead at the entrance.

Silence.

The Button was pushed again.

"Exercise terminated"

The loud voice booming from the speakers dotted around the facility was, surprisingly, the most confusing thing that had happened to the woman all day. She was now in a complete state of utter shock and bewilderment.

What had just happened?

What was happening now?

"Keep all guns trained on the subject, make sure it doesn't move"

She was relieved to hear this until all the soldiers pointed their weapons at her, she just stood there perplexed. A door on the second floor of the facility building opened and a tall grey haired man in a business suit walked out followed by two tall bodyguards. He descended down a metal staircase, each step of his expensive dress shoes clanking and echoing around the facility. All this time the T.rex was just standing there. He reached ground level and began towards the survivor, the soldiers moving to out of his path.

He stood there looking at her.

"Where is the control team?"

"Here sir"

Coming from behind the soldiers 5 scientists dressed in lab coats worked their way through them towards him.

"Assemble them please"

"Of course sir"

The lead scientist nodded to one of his team to his left, who proceeded in working some controls on a computer tablet. The T.rex began moving into the facility, walking past the survivor, as it did so it gave her a glance, then proceeded to an open area on the other side of the courtyard. The survivor still had no idea what was going on. She jumped as four Raptors ran through the doorway, one of them severely wounded and limping, they weaved through the line of soldiers who didn't move an inch, all their attention was still focused on her. The Raptors then proceeded to line up next to the T.rex in a rather orderly manner, almost, like soldiers.

"What was the performance of subject 9?" said the old man calmly but with clear authority in his voice.

"Just the one survivor sir," replied the almost cowering man in the white coat, "thatís a 96.5% success rate, subject 9 touched down on the plains and settled in the marsh. Pterosaur neutralisation worked perfectly... this time..."

"Casualties?"

"uh," he looked down at his tablet, "Two Pterosaurs, Eight Raptors, and... the Triceratops... sir..."

"What happened to the Triceratops? Thatís the first 1 we've lost"

"Destruction of the command collar Sir, resulting in a total loss of control input, it reverted to survival instincts and attacked the Raptors, they proceeded in... killing it... Sir"

"...What?"

He walked over to the surviving raptors, stood there looking them in the eyes without the hint of fear, in fact it was the raptors who seemed to be afraid.

"I'm disappointed in you" he said slowly with a calm furiosity in his eyes.

He turned back to the scientist.

"The obedience gene needs more work apparently"

"Yes, Sir"

"And are these command collars really necessary? They just cost me a Triceratops"

He glared at the worker with contempt.

"Without them they don't work as a team, sir"

"Well then I think we need some more alterations to their intelligence and cognitive centres. We need them to coordinate themselves, we can't afford another failure like that. We need the Triceratops to coordinate independently alongside the carnivores"

"But, Sir, that would mean months of further genetic reprogramming and..."

"If thatís what it takes I want it done, where is the last Pterosaur?"

"It, er... hasn't responded to the recall command, Sir"

"...Another "command collar failure?","

"Unknown, Sir"

"Send out the chopper. Deal with it"

"But, Sir"

"It has failed. Letís hope its successors are more obedient"

"What about the others, Sir?"

"Well, we need a whole new team now don't we?"

"Of course, Sir"

"Those Raptors have disappointed me for the last time... Terminate them..."

"Very good" He turned to the team of soldiers, "Commander?"

The commander, in charge of the soldiers, instructed a firing squad to take up position in front of the Raptors who we're getting very nervous at this point.

He barked his orders to the firing squad.

"READY!..."

"AIM!..."

As the soldiers raised their guns to the raptors two of them broke formation and tried to run.

"FIRE!!"

The 2 raptors were killed instantly and a third was gunned down trying to climb the fence, the fourth made it to the top and started running along it. Only to be blocked by the jaws of a very quick Tyrannosaurus, who threw the dying body down to the ground where the soldiers swiftly finished it off. The old man stood there looking at the T.rex.

"Oooh, good boy!"

The scientist appeared next to him.

"What about the Tyrannosaur, Sir?"

"Did he perform as expected?" he said never taking his eyes off the beast.

"Exceptionally, Sir. In fact better than usual..."

"Well then, I think we'll keep him around, for now."

"But what about the command collar problem, Sir?"

"I haven't seen any trouble with this one"

"Very good, Sir"

The old man turns to leave. The scientist stops him.

"Oh, what about the last survivor of subject 9, Sir?"

The old man turns slowly to him with an air of calmness.

"...There were no survivors of subject 9..."

"Very well, Sir"

The scientist nods to the commander who barks again at the soldiers aiming at the woman survivor still standing there.

"READY!..."

"AIM!..."

"FIRE!!!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, there you have it guys, a bit of fun from Primals development history, over 5 years old at this point. Anyone around at the time may remember it.

Well, I hope you find some enjoyment out of it, better than sitting hidden away in my documents forever.

Until next time I suppose.

-Max

Interesting. Halfway through I suspected it was maybe some really early origin story to the mercenaries but nope.

JURASSIC WORLD SPOILER

Kinda reminds me of Hoskins motives in Jurassic World with the whole controllable dinos thing.

Damn, and it ended at such a cliffhanger too!

Would it be possible to somehow continue this story? I really would enjoy to read the rest!

(FLoFF) Floofie: I fear that person with my life

Quote Originally Posted by Toametru View Post
    Damn, and it ended at such a cliffhanger too!

Would it be possible to somehow continue this story? I really would enjoy to read the rest!
    It WAS an interesting story, that's why I went with it, it was primarily dealing with the often (at the time) debated issue of the dinosaurs working together in the game, so that's what I focused on.

It was intended early on to be the bases of the lore, some aspects of this became official later, the company later returned as Phoenix, the old man in charge, our sinister John Hammond, later came back as Lawrence Carter (It's the same guy basically) and some other bits and bobs. A lot of it was unused though, or more accurately left to 1 side and forgotten about, it was always intended to be but game mechanics and networking code takes higher priority in a game than the lore.

I suppose as this was the intended basis for undeveloped backstory you can take it as semi official, at least to Primal Carnage I had nothing to do with the recoded version.

It would be interesting to continue and develop this but I was trying to do just that since I was hired as the PC Writer in 2010 and it never happened, so I'm not sure if I have it in me to take this and develop it now as, essentially, a fan fiction just for giggles.

Sorry.

Oh and as for your comment Cnicko, there were a lot of themes that Primal Carnage NEARLY preempted Jurassic World on, sadly none of it was ever developed, now it might seem like a copy of JW, but, this was written for PC in 2010.
    Last edited by Maniacal-Max; 06-27-2015 at 11:31 AM.

An awesome read, though I expected no less from you, Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal-Max View Post
    Oh and as for comment your Cnicko, there were a lot of themes that Primal Carnage NEARLY preempted Jurassic World on, sadly none of it was ever developed, now it might seem like a copy of JW, but, this was written for PC in 2010.

SLIGHT JW SPOILER IF YOU THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT MY COMMENT.

Yes, yes, I am and was fully aware that this was written back in 2010, I just thought it was funny how JW has a teeny bit of similarity to this.

It was certainly an interesting read though, to bad you probably won't continue on it as fanfic.

I'd of spent money on it if that were a book.
    [/URL]

Continue as a fanfiction...

I'm afraid I can't, it's just too disheartening to continue a 5 year old official PC short story as a fanfiction. It was already bad enough that I was unable to continue it officially, I just can't. I have my own project these days where I can expand on and do the things I really want to do and it's a lot of fun, I look forward to sharing it with you guys.

Oh and I wasn't suggesting YOU were saying that Cnicko, just in general it COULD be said of some of the old PC lore at this point, it's just a shame it it wasn't used years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CynderMan View Post
    I'd of spent money on it if that were a book.
    Thanks. That means a lot.
    Last edited by Maniacal-Max; 06-27-2015 at 11:43 AM.

I think I don't remember reading this at the time, but either way it was interesting to finally read this and see the ideas you had for the PC lore~

It's unfortunate you couldn't continue with it, but still you did a great job! And good luck with your newcurrent projects aswell.
    Avatar animation taken from here: http://fav.me/da3wron

Thanks Carol.

*PERFORMS SECRET SOCIETY HANDSHAKE THAT ONLY WE KNOW*

Jurassic the Spino Lord [PC] Jurassic's Avatar
    This was very interesting to read Max! I enjoyed reading this. You had some awesome ideas for the PC lore! I hope to see you continue this story one day as this was an interesting read.

Good luck on your other projects as well!

Mosasaur is amazing!

No problem!

Avatar animation taken from here: http://fav.me/da3wron

y'know, this would make for an interesting game on its own...

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic
    This was very interesting to read Max! I enjoyed reading this. You had some awesome ideas for the PC lore! I hope to see you continue this story one day as this was an interesting read.

Good luck on your other projects as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdskull31 View Post
    y'know, this would make for an interesting game on its own...
    Well, it would have, that was the intention, this at 1 point might have been Primal Carnage and was intended as such by the management at the time (Early 2010), but priorities moved around and it was put on the backburner until it was deemed needed, unfortunately that time never really came. I salvaged what I could, sprinkled lore around where possible; Phoenix, The human class bios, even the Novaraptor had intentions beyond its original fictional name. In fact the idea of the Novaraptor was to acknowledge the fact that it was not any identifiable real species, that it had been meddled with so much at a biological level that it could not be considered the same species anymore and so it had been given a new 1 by its' creators. This was always meant to be expanded on, but, again, backburner stuff.

The biggest thing I took away from my 4 years working on Primal was that I yearned for a way to really get my crazy ideas across, and to that end I would like to (once again) thank Carol who put up with me during the time we worked on the old PC Comic Strip run and the brief life of the full PC Comic, this was the 1 time while working for the game that I was truly able to go nuts with things... until it was shut down... twice...

But if it wasn't for Carol I wouldn't have moved on to where I am, in the free creative fields of comic production with some amazing artists and a driven passion for utter madness and wild adventures, characters and stories.

So what I learned from my time here, was to be unshackled and free to be the most maniacal Maniacal-Max I can be.

...that and Dinosaurs... can't leave out dinosaurs... even in space

Oh and thank you all for your encouraging words, it's honestly strange for a dusty old draft I dug out of a drawer, I'm just glad someone gets a kick out of it after all this time.

-Max

Really interesting read. It's always nice to get a bit of PC lore no matter how old it is. I hope in the future more lore will be revealed no matter how old.

And who is subject 9 exactly? At first I thought it was one of the dinosaurs but reading this it seems subject 9 is the designation of the entire experiment or am I reading it wrong?
    Last edited by Bartbrink1996; 06-28-2015 at 06:02 AM.
    "No matter what the future may bring, some things will never change! Like the courage and daring of true heroes!" RIP Bionicle.

Thread Information