Close
Page 1 of 61 1231151 ... LastLast

Dino discoveries

Now with 100% more science.

Latest post:

Quote Originally Posted by albertonykus

Okay, they're not really dinosaurs (...) but I don't think we've had this one yet:

Hard to dispute evidence of Neanderthal art.

This means that abstract thought and imagination are off the list of properties that set modern humans apart from everything else ever. I wonder what new "huge difference" the discovery channels of this world will come up with now to keep justifying viewing our cousins as primitive half-men.

Personally I find finds like these rather reassuring. Every aspect of our humanity we share with a relative we split off from about 600.000 years ago also reduces the gap between the still living color variants of our species which split up ten times as recent as that.
    Never give up, never forget, moar colors.

The land of dead flamingos, curse you Gulf Stream!
    Locomotion in Extinct Giant Kangaroos: Were Sthenurines Hop-Less Monsters?
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0109888
    Sthenurine kangaroos (Marsupialia, Diprotodontia, Macropodoidea) were an extinct subfamily within the family Macropodidae (kangaroos and rat-kangaroos). These “short-faced browsers” first appeared in the middle Miocene, and radiated in the Plio-Pleistocene into a diversity of mostly large-bodied forms, more robust than extant forms in their build. The largest (Procoptodon goliah) had an estimated body mass of 240 kg, almost three times the size of the largest living kangaroos, and there is speculation whether a kangaroo of this size would be biomechanically capable of hopping locomotion. Previously described aspects of sthenurine anatomy (specialized forelimbs, rigid lumbar spine) would limit their ability to perform the characteristic kangaroo pentapedal walking (using the tail as a fifth limb), an essential gait at slower speeds as slow hopping is energetically unfeasible. Analysis of limb bone measurements of sthenurines in comparison with extant macropodoids shows a number of anatomical differences, especially in the large species. The scaling of long bone robusticity indicates that sthenurines are following the “normal” allometric trend for macropodoids, while the large extant kangaroos are relatively gracile. Other morphological differences are indicative of adaptations for a novel type of locomotor behavior in sthenurines: they lacked many specialized features for rapid hopping, and they also had anatomy indicative of supporting their body with an upright trunk (e.g., dorsally tipped ischiae), and of supporting their weight on one leg at a time (e.g., larger hips and knees, stabilized ankle joint). We propose that sthenurines adopted a bipedal striding gait (a gait occasionally observed in extant tree-kangaroos): in the smaller and earlier forms, this gait may have been employed as an alternative to pentapedal locomotion at slower speeds, while in the larger Pleistocene forms this gait may have enabled them to evolve to body sizes where hopping was no longer a feasible form of more rapid locomotion.

~ 海巳慧琉

Resident Weeb**** and all around general airhead, yah I'm that chick.

Playful T-Rex?
    All I can think of with that is a T-Rx rolling over to get his belly rubbed.

Official human-hogger (mostly).

Most animals seem to have a playful side, even those in which you really would not expect it, so I hardly find it surprising, especially since their closest living relatives, the birds, are a very playful group, often going out of their way to do things seemingly just because it is fun.

What I will say is that discoveries bringing it to peoples attention is always a good thing, as it may help repair the heavily tarnished image that these animals currently posses.

It would not be surprising if Mesozoic dinosaurs engaged in play behavior, but the notion that we can infer it from the evidence given in the paper mentioned is not well supported.

New dinosaur footprints exposed in the Wessex.
    Review of dinosaur footprints from the Wessex.
    Review of dinosaur tracks from the Isle of Wight.
    Review of large Cretaceous ornithopod tracks.
    Description of dinosaur tracks from the Corda, currently under threat of being eroded by hydroelectric plant activities.
    A large enantiornithine specimen with implications for enantiornithine lung ventilation.
    Aerodynamics of gliding flight and application to Microraptor.
    New species of Jeholornis J. curvipes. (This is the same specimen as the one that was going to be published in Acta Palaeontologica Polonica a while back but was pulled.)
    New enantiornithine Eopengornis martini. Now the tail fan of Sapeornis makes sense.

Nanomechanical properties of bird feather rachises.
    Cranial osteology of Haplocheirus.
    Male great bustards consume more poisonous foods than females do.
    New specimens of Deinocheirus!

Morphometric analysis of Huérteles theropod tracks.
    Mid-Cretaceous dinosaur assemblages of northern Gondwana.
    New ankylosaurid Zaraapelta nomadis, with significant revision of Mongolian ankylosaurids.

New Cretaceous euornithine Iteravis huchzermeyeri.

Dinosaur track casts from the Hekou Group.

Prenatal learning in superb fairy wrens.
    Ontogenetic scaling of greater rhea leg muscles.
    Running birds uniformly prioritize leg safety on uneven terrain.

Overtone-based pitch selection in hermit thrush song.

Cranial anatomy of Erlikosaurus.

Evolution of avian egg shape.

Further description of large theropod trackway from the Zhenzhuchong.

The Indiana University Press volume on hadrosaurs is out. Among many other things, there are three new hadrosaurs: Adelolophus hutchisoni, Plesiohadros djadokhtaensis, and Gongpoquansaurus mazongshanensis (formerly a species of Probactrosaurus).

Ornithopod trackways from the Feitianshan.

Avian head induces cues for sound localization in elevation.
    Reassessment of Wintonotitan.

Cranial anatomy of Thescelosaurus.
    New Cretaceous euornithine Gansus zheni.

Conflict between groups of green woodhoopoes promotes later defense of a critical resource.

Sauropod from the Lakota.

Osteohistology of Hesperornis compared to that of pygoscelid penguins.
    New sauropod Huangshanlong anhuiensis.

New dinosaur-bearing site from the Caturrita.
    Distribution of genes associated with feather development across vertebrates.

Problems raised with 2009 study on Psittacosaurus growth.

Sauropod and theropod tracks from Argentina.
    A mass mortality of juvenile Protoceratops.

The structure and function of cassowary casques.
    Last edited by Terraform Jupiter; 11-29-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

That's... that's quite a change. On the old boards I was permitted to multi-post for the sake of updating the topic with news. I personally found that more sensible, as users will only be notified by new posts in the topic and not edits of my former postings. I don't believe I have ever abused that concession, but if the policy is no longer in place I am willing to comply.

Possible impact of microbial mats on preservation of Jiaguan dinosaur tracks.

Thread Information