Close
Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
  1. #31
    Alpha Novaraptor Armonite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Far out in the red-sky
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigby View Post
    Actually, they can't. The vast majority of players in this game can't tell the difference between lag and hacking. I know I live in a remote country with poor internet, so my ping is ~400ms most of the time (with little chance of ever getting local servers, even if this game were to gain popularity). Add to that I've been gaming for a long time, so have learned to play well with lag and still score highly (I'm often up the top of the scoreboard somewhere) despite the disadvantages - and you better bet the cheating accusations never stop, since people just don't understand how lag affects online gaming. (You'll be amazed how many people think rubber-banding is speed hacking. >_>)
    If indiscriminate vote-kicking is implemented in this game, I will be bullied out of pretty much every single game because of where I live (which I can't change).

    It is extremely hurtful to be playing a game completely above board (in fact, with a major disadvantage) and then see people suddenly voting on you (regardless of whether the kick passes or not). Not everyone has a thick skin. In fact many people will leave a match if even one troll decides to vote-kick them - it makes people feel bad. People play games to have fun, not be cyber-bullied. Vote-kick is a GREAT TOOL FOR TROLLS AND BULLIES - they absolutely love it.

    I've been online gaming long enough to see tools like vote-kicking be abused to the point where all the 'nice' people leave (permanently, after a while) and then you are left with just the trolls and nasty community left. I'm not sure how that is beneficial to all players? SirRex is completely right about the 'mob mentality' as well - if a couple of people start voting on someone, often the rest of the team will vote too 'just because' or they find it entertaining. I've seen it happen - many times in other games. I no longer play those games.

    As for hackers, kicking them is NOT the responsibility of the player. The player is there to enjoy the game, that's all. It's up to LWM to make sure their game has appropriate anti-cheat software and monitoring to eliminate hackers. Given this game will now have marketable drops, they must be aware that hackers will come pouring out of the woodwork to farm drops to sell? I'm sure plenty of official volunteers would help with this, if LWM needed it.

    As for trolls - mute button. Solves all. Trolls shut up pretty quickly (or leave) when they realise they're talking to themselves.

    TL;DR: Leave vote-kick out of this game. A lot of the reason why people enjoy this game is because it has a fun, casual, friendly vibe, and it's quite difficult for bullies to abuse and troll people when the only tool they have is word chat. I get that vote-kicking is useful given an ideal world - but we don't live in an ideal world, and it WILL be abused. Liberally. Start putting in tools like vote-kick into this game, and the fun vibe starts will go away pretty quickly, and what you're left with isn't very nice at all - unless your a troll, then it's great.
    Again, as much as you seem to be thinking only of yourself and focus on how you´re going to be the "victims", you are not looking at the whole picture, you´re only looking things from your own little perspective, just like SirRex. First, believe it or not, but playing with over 400 ping is actually harmful to the overall game experience and not just for you but for everyone in the server, people aren´t just kicking you because they are some evil trolls trying to "bully" you, you gotta think how your lag is affecting the game experience for OTHER players as well, kicking someone because it´s warpin all around the place and affecting the server stabilty is perfectly reasonable, there are even multiplayer games out there that autokick players when their ping exceeds a limit.

    You claim that: "tools like vote-kick into this game, and the fun vibe starts will go away pretty quickly, and what you're left with isn't very nice at all - unless your a troll, then it's great." You know, not everyone has the same idea of fun as yourself, right? And no, they are not trolls just because they dont agree with you, not having a basic feature like votekick, over a minor problem, would be a mistake, to this day it has proven an effective system implemented in a lot games out there, everyone knows it´s not perfect, but guess what? Nothing is.

  2. #32
    Professional Tyrant Sir Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Armonite View Post
    you seem to be thinking only of yourself and focus on how you´re going to be the "victims", you are not looking at the whole picture, you´re only looking things from your own little perspective, just like SirRex.
    First of all, I never claimed to be a victim. Perhaps you need to re-read. Everything has a backside, even the votekicking system but you seem to fail to understand that. The Primal Carnage community is not perfect, it is not full of ideal people that would only kick others for legit reasons such as hacking or offensive behavior.(You said it yourself, "nothing is perfect") Minding how often good players get called hackers merely because they know how to aim is what leads me to think that some parts of the community would throw this "newfound power" around just for fun. Speaking of looking at things from your own little perspective, has it never occurred to you that these kinds of things could happen, hm? Yes, it might be my perspective but it is the backside of the glorious votekick. It's not as narrow as you seem to believe. There's a perfectly valid point in wanting to be able to have a mature "let's send this hacker packing" but it's not always that that will be possible(It's a wonderful dream though). Then again, kicking is more appropiate for people that go AFK and take up space for people that actually want to play in a server. Banning is the only appropiate treatment for hackers.

    Once the recode has been released and the advertisment attracts new players then sure, we're bound to want to have better monitoring of the game. I do not think it's something that should be placed in the hands of the normal everyday player but I guess that's only me lol. Time will tell if it'll work as intended or backfire. I'll gladly eat my previous statements if it turns out that the community can actually handle this in a mature way.

  3. #33
    at Burger King Shenzi Sixaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotyk View Post
    Votekick is already implemented in the game, only 1.3 broke it. The community we've had weren't as votekick happy back when it was an option as you guys claim it will be when it is RE-implemented. Only hackers and trolls got kicked, trolls often couldn't get a votekick going because they had no reason that supported their actions. The only people who did it for the wrong reasons were roleplayers when trying to take over a public server, but they have a lot of rp servers now a days so I doubt that will be a problem.
    Exactly.

    The only one time I have ever seen enough people in a server in PC get pissed enough to figure out how to votekick someone was a hacker. And of course, that was on 1.3 so it didn't do anything, but you see my point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Armonite View Post
    Exactly. I can't stress enough how important that bit about ping is. In TF2, there's the spy class; y'know, the one that can go invisible and pretend to be teammates and kill every single class with one hit with a backstab, yeah? There's a little bit of latency compensation on that attack, and the higher the ping of the spy player, the more often they can just walk up to someone and stab them in the face and have the game count it as a backstab. It's utter BS. And the more players who have a higher ping in any game, the worse the experience gets. For everyone. That is worth a votekick, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by SirRex View Post
    The way you're speaking makes it sound as so.

    I'm gonna assume you mean "downside," to which I'll agree; most things have a downside no matter how great they might be. But despite that, sometimes the pros outweigh the cons despite what you and others are saying, and this is one of those instances where the pros outweigh the cons no matter what, just about. All the complaints of being votekicked wrongly are valid, but that and thinking so badly of "the average player" does not invalidate the usefulness and necessity of kicking hackers, annoying people, friendlies in a non-friendly/RP server, AFKs, spammers, people with high pings, aimbotters, etc.

  4. #34
    Steakosaurus wirevix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    95
    Also a lot of people don't seem to have noticed that votekick is being added as a server option. Thus, a particular server host may choose not to enable it if, say, they prefer to have active moderators logged in to keep tabs instead of leaving it to the majority. If you are absolutely terrified about being votekicked out of any server you join, just hunt for ones that don't have it turned on.

    That being said, I've played a lot of multiplayer games and the only one I have ever been mob-votekicked out of was, of all things, Transformice on Kongregate. People don't really bother with votekick that much. Sometimes one will get started up, but in all my playing, I've seen them mostly get started by one player and then fizzle out when they don't get a single extra vote.

    Even if you have problems like high latency (which again, depending on the attitude of the server, might be considered kick-worthy by the person who runs it; gotta keep in mind that private servers will always have their own individual rules), it's easy to avoid having a mob try to votekick you by just being friendly and talking in the chat. If you go along with jokes and make conversation with others, people can put more of a human face on you rather than just "anonymous player," and that helps a lot.
    Steam name: wirevix

  5. #35
    Super Moderator JediSpectre117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,142
    What about what I've already suggested. A complain vote system, depending on the number of people on a server, several people have to complain about a player before a vote is initiated. This negates troll and lol votes while keeping the chance to get ride of real trolls, hackers etc (thus avoiding peoples experience being ruined)

  6. #36
    at Burger King Shenzi Sixaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    414
    People can complain just fine without a system for that in the chat and I see something like that offering nothing but annoyance and making the kicking of someone take more time, not to mention giving someone more time to leave the server to bypass the vote and just come back.

  7. #37
    Super Moderator JediSpectre117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzi Sixaxis View Post
    People can complain just fine without a system for that in the chat and I see something like that offering nothing but annoyance and making the kicking of someone take more time, not to mention giving someone more time to leave the server to bypass the vote and just come back.
    No what I meant was that the system was similar to voting, say 3 people voted/complained against a certain player, without that player knowing and them knowing other have "complained" against the player. A vote is the initiated to kick said player. (Just explaining that as it seems to me you missed what I was getting at)
    However you raise very valid points against it.
    When I do think on it and not just "vote kicking, oh no" I do begin to feel a wait and see approach is better. The games that I most recently have been vote kicked on was, unfairly (and quickly I might add some I had just arrived) was Payday 2 and Left 4 Dead 2, and could be just friends wanting to play together and are more objective based.
    Plus the game that made me despise vote kick was chivalry (oh boo hoo a noob is beating you who're at level 50) and I do remembering raising the issue, with many others sharing examples and some saying the game had like an elitist attitude. PC doesn't really have that, yeah we want to win but we're not nuts on it.
    I'll admit I was too quick to judge and that we should perhaps wait and see if the vote kick is as bad as it was on Chivalry which caused my stigma. Though I do think we should be slightly concerned at the prospect of people using it to get Tyrant.

  8. #38
    Steakosaurus wirevix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    95
    I don't think that would really be an issue in and of itself, but rather a syndrom of a bad server. Keep in mind, 51% of the server population needs to vote yes to have someone kicked. If more than 51% of the server is people all rabidly vying for Tyrant spot, chances are that server is crappy to play on anyway and you'll have way more fun somewhere else with people who don't just hurl themselves into a bullet so they can respawn as Tyrant.
    Steam name: wirevix

  9. #39
    Hey guys I`m really not shure if this is the right forum area to ask the but were can I find the livestreams

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardie5000 View Post
    Hey guys I`m really not shure if this is the right forum area to ask the but were can I find the livestreams
    http://www.twitch.tv/apocus17

  11. #41
    Steakosaurus wirevix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    95
    Well, the absolute cheapest method resource wise would be to say "It was genetically engineered to be an omnivore, to make it easier to feed with whatever's available." Kind of a hand-wave excuse, but it would allow them to just add new dinos without altering any existing systems.
    Steam name: wirevix

  12. #42
    Predator X Alijar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    The cereal cupboard
    Posts
    781
    Well, they could always add some planet next to the corpses, and the pachy could!d eat off of those? But then again, you can make the current Dino's eat trees and stuff.

    Official human-hogger (mostly).

  13. #43
    Pretzelcoatlus stargatedalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The land of dead flamingos, curse you Gulf Stream!
    Posts
    217
    perhaps this dilo subclass could have anesthetic like venom, repairing slight amounts of health and perhaps as a weapon it could cause stamina drain

    I have a question, sorry if this has already been asked;
    are there any plans to add in the chat an icon or something next to an admins name?

    Resident Weeb**** and all around general airhead, yah I'm that chick.

  14. #44
    Pretzelcoatlus Mondevu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    In my own little world~
    Posts
    231
    Pony skins?
    Oh my word, this would be hilarious. XD I see raptors running around with cutie marks. You could easily give the scientist and Applejack outfit, too, given her current color scheme. XD Granted, I'm not saying it should be done, but I had to share the hilarity of it all. ^_^
    Screw the PC master race. You've all got sticks shoved so far up your rear-ends it's caused brain damage. Go jump off a cliff.

  15. #45
    at Burger King Shenzi Sixaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    414
    MLP stuff is copyrighted. I dunno how you guys think it's gonna end up in PC with just that alone.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •