Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Compy: What now?

We are basically back where we started with the compsognathus class since its removal from survival. It is now just a fully playable class that can only be accessed by commands and not for the common good. What are we going to do with it now?

(FLoFF) Floofie: I fear that person with my life

Imo, it would make a neat glass canon spitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Toametru View Post
    We are basically back where we started with the compsognathus class since its removal from survival. It is now just a fully playable class that can only be accessed by commands and not for the common good. What are we going to do with it now?
    Make more main menu animations with them?
    "time to hunt some dinosaurs" -The only guy who likes playing as humans

Primal Carnage Team dinosauriac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toametru View Post
    We are basically back where we started with the compsognathus class since its removal from survival.
    Did I miss something? I thought there were still specific Compy waves?

Quote Originally Posted by dinosauriac View Post
    Did I miss something? I thought there were still specific Compy waves?
    I could have sworn they were removed from survival.

(FLoFF) Floofie: I fear that person with my life

They weren't received very well because of their size. There are Compy waves, they just don't come very often.

I don't think they belong in TDM/GTTC gamemodes for several reasons..we're still trying to find a good use for it. For now it remains as something you can try out in Freeroam.

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    They weren't received very well because of their size. There are Compy waves, they just don't come very often.

I don't think they belong in TDM/GTTC gamemodes
    they can aways hang aroud capure points to be a nonsense

invalid signiture space please refrain from saying goose otherwise the world might explode

I think making compy bots that run around maps during all modes would add a bit of atmosphere to the game. Just have them running around. You could kill them, but they wouldn't give you any points.

Primal Carnage Team dinosauriac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla1031 View Post
    I think making compy bots that run around maps during all modes would add a bit of atmosphere to the game.
    Would be a nice bit of detail, but the technical challenge involved doesn't really make it worth the effort. Setting aside that none of the maps outside of Survival are properly nav-meshed for AI movement, there's performance concerns with doing this. As I understand it, the AI code isn't terribly efficient and can place significant strain on the server. This is why we never spawn more than a handful of enemies at once in Survival, each bot is roughly as expensive in terms of processing as adding another player to the match.

We could fake it by placing Compy models on movement tracks (like the background Brachis) but I think it would be an underwhelming result and would mean a lot of time wasted fiddling with Matinee instead of working on more important features.

I don't see why compy wouldn't be feasible to add as a new playable character? The only reason why would be because of it's size, and I honestly don't see why that holds any of you guys back? Because if that is your reason it's a pretty stupid reason because that is what balance is for, and spitters work fine. Granted, spitters aren't that small nor that fast, but who said they needed to be novaraptor speed? They could use the exact same health, damage, and speed values as in survival except maybe slightly more health or speed to actually make it work. The swarming idea of AI compies as a roar or attack might not work as I see stated above by dinosauriac, but you can make it work in many other ways. It could play a role of a distraction and a different kind of support this game hasn't really seen too much before, if at all. It really is a missed opportunity, because it's already finished and ready for multiplayer as a proper character besides slight balancing I already stated, killfeeds, an icon for it, and UI. And even loading screens if you guys even feel like doing that.

MADE BY THE EPIC GIGABYTER! (FORMERLY KNOWN AS REDTHING)

There is a way to make the compies more loved on survival, if they actually come in full packs of lets say 12-20 at once. Right now they behave too much like raptors, they were hunting together as 1 group to take on larger prey. The lack of actual numbers in a wave makes them so boring, as it is only a few of them every time.
    You Ain't Much If You Ain't Dutch! Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/allyslayernl If you wish to add me to Steam: theslayernl

Some people had the idea that you could add the compy as the spectator class. Might at least be interesting and would solve the AI problem.
    Take a look at these fancy pages -> Steam / DeviantArt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal News (Hemlock) View Post
    I don't see why compy wouldn't be feasible to add as a new playable character? The only reason why would be because of it's size, and I honestly don't see why that holds any of you guys back? Because if that is your reason it's a pretty stupid reason because that is what balance is for, and spitters work fine. Granted, spitters aren't that small nor that fast, but who said they needed to be novaraptor speed? They could use the exact same health, damage, and speed values as in survival except maybe slightly more health or speed to actually make it work. The swarming idea of AI compies as a roar or attack might not work as I see stated above by dinosauriac, but you can make it work in many other ways. It could play a role of a distraction and a different kind of support this game hasn't really seen too much before, if at all. It really is a missed opportunity, because it's already finished and ready for multiplayer as a proper character besides slight balancing I already stated, killfeeds, an icon for it, and UI. And even loading screens if you guys even feel like doing that.
    Oh no, then more players will go play TDM and GTTC! Now you can play as it only on freeroam, and new only freeroam map, FR-Island! Because it's the best gamemode ever! And you can talk on it about new fluufy skin! TDM and GTTC are for noobs! Freeroam 4ever <3

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Yolaak Krosis-Drun View Post
    Some people had the idea that you could add the compy as the spectator class. Might at least be interesting and would solve the AI problem.
    Good idea!

Compy as the spectator is an amazing idea.

^^^ I agree!

MADE BY THE EPIC GIGABYTER! (FORMERLY KNOWN AS REDTHING)

Thread Information