Close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Could have dogs like the COD games. maybe after a team meets a certain number of kills they unlock Compys for the Dinos, and Dogs for Humans. both would act the same, dealing small damage to the opposite team for a brief period of time, or until they are all dead. But then again, I can see alot of people having an issue with a game that has dog killing in it.

I have to agree on many of the points here. They all have their pro's and con's. Compies can be a fun class to run around in (not dealing damage or taking, just for running around), they can be an 'annoyance' class with next to no damage just to possibly distract the humans so a bigger dino can go after them, or as a spectator (maybe invisible to everyone but you still see yourself as a compy?)

Since this has been revived... what about this... you only control 1 compy, bu 10 follow you around and attack only when you do. Your health is the number in your pack you have remaining. Each can take, I dunno, a certain amount of damage.

I really don't see how the AI can be too difficult on this. They don't have to be smart just follow you and only attack when you do. This happens in the creature stage of Spore and that's a pretty old game compared to today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoRaven View Post
    Since this has been revived... what about this... you only control 1 compy, bu 10 follow you around and attack only when you do. Your health is the number in your pack you have remaining. Each can take, I dunno, a certain amount of damage.

I really don't see how the AI can be too difficult on this. They don't have to be smart just follow you and only attack when you do. This happens in the creature stage of Spore and that's a pretty old game compared to today's standards.
    Personally I never played Spore, but your idea sounds good.

I only bumped it because it was like 1 month old, not 3-4+ months old.

Well since the thread's already been bumped, another one won't hurt. Now I love the idea of a horde class and being able to control a swarm of compies so they can utterly ruin someone else's day but as appealing as it sounds, I'm too much of a realist to believe that it'll ever fit as a common-place dino class.

Firstly, it's size is going to be host to a smorgasbord of problems and grievances from both sides. Yes they could be killed with relative ease in Survival but that was because they ran after you in a straight enough line that their small size didn't matter so much, now imagine a swarm in the control of a player who'll be sprinting erratically around your feet. In this scenario, getting attacked by the horde'll mean that you're going to have to look almost straight down and consequently not be able to notice when something much bigger and nastier decides to add you to their lunch menu - This kind of distraction might sound cool in principle and it really does, but in a TDM setting the novelty's going to wear out before you can make your first Jurassic Park reference. AoE weapons like explosions and fire can help to curb this but ultimately I think it'll just lead to both sides being unhappy: Human players'll be unhappy since fighting such small opponents as a Scientist/Trapper/Pathfinder would be unreasonably hard and the dino players'll be unhappy since the horde can be so easily dispatched by a single Pyro and a couple of explosives.

Scoring is also going to be a pain the ass to figure out, assuming that the original plans for the compy are going to be in effect. This alone could disqualify it from TDM as a single point for killing an entire horde is way too little reward for the effort while anything more than that runs the risk of upsetting balance and potentially makes it too costly to use the Compy. This can be avoided if it was being used in a game mode that doesn't require pure kills but even if we do live in a milk-and-honey world where GttC is popular, it won't be a fix all.

I won't even get started with how herculean a task it'll be to code the class so I'll just leave it at that.

So those are a few reasons why a TDM Compsognathus class wouldn't work. It's simply too ambitious for the reality of things, for both getting it to work as a true horde class and for balancing it as such. I remember Apoc mentioning that it could be playable if it had a gamemode all to itself but anywhere outside of that and Freeroam? I wouldn't hold my breath, folks.

I still adore the idea of Compy spectators. Couldn't kill them, and they couldn't hurt you. Just running around and watching the mayhem as a compy...

just fire and explosions everywhere and you're all g LOL

Thread Information