Close

Circle 5, I urge you to improve your PR/advertising

I sent an email about this, but just to make sure my concern is heard I'm posting it here as well.

So many more people would buy this game if only they knew it existed. However the way it is now, even dinosaur-obsessed lunatics like myself have a difficult time finding out about it.

A lot of developers have had poor relations with console players once their games become popular enough on PC that they can afford to make the move. I urge you not to be one of those developers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mack_yoshi View Post
    I sent an email about this, but just to make sure my concern is heard I'm posting it here as well.

So many more people would buy this game if only they knew it existed. However the way it is now, even dinosaur-obsessed lunatics like myself have a difficult time finding out about it.

A lot of developers have had poor relations with console players once their games become popular enough on PC that they can afford to make the move. I urge you not to be one of those developers.

Thanks
    Chris Thank you for your note, and your Email (which I saw).

Just to clarify, Primal Carnage: Extinction is Circle 5's game, and not Panic Button's.

While we did the PS4 version of the game (and decided to do updates on our own to improve the game), Primal Carnage: Extinction isn't our game to market That job belongs to Circle 5 and their marketing firm.

We help bring additional awareness to PC:E just like we do with all of the games we touch but it's up to the owners of the games to market their games, and take care of their communities.

Besides this official Website, forum, and the news updates here, you can also use these official resources from Circle 5 and Primal Carnage:

The game was announced on the PlayStation Blog, and besides announcing new DLC on those social media sites above, DLC will show up on your PS4 XMB as it's released.

Thank you for playing the game, and for letting the other dinosaur-faithful out there know about it.

Advertising costs money, and money is something the devs have trouble getting in their hands fast enough to do things they want to such as hiring new staff
    check out my super cool YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2...XBZaWykucR-4lw I post my map updates there

Quote Originally Posted by Turtl3Man View Post
    Advertising costs money, and money is something the devs have trouble getting in their hands fast enough to do things they want to such as hiring new staff
    Man, it's worse than that. They kept everyone in the dark for a very long time about when PS4 was releasing. They gave a date which if memory serves was quarter 1 of 2015, then when that date came, there was no information about it to be found all the way through the summer.

It was only through luck that I happened to stumble upon the information that it was released in October 2015, because after hearing nothing for 6 months I naturally assumed they'd abandoned it. Now I've been missing out on the game for 9 months simply due to a lack of information.

The average gamer doesn't have the dedication or time to do their own research on a game and its developer just to be aware of the game's existence.

Primal Carnage Team dinosauriac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_yoshi View Post
    The average gamer doesn't have the dedication or time to do their own research on a game and its developer just to be aware of the game's existence.
    This is the official website / forum, it shouldn't really be a difficult thing for anyone who's interested to keep up with. We announced there was a delay with the PS4 version on here and our producer conducted interviews with a number of fairly high profile gaming sites detailing why. The final release date was announced on the official PlayStation blog.

If you're talking about attracting new players, as already mentioned we don't have the resources to do anything like a really big marketing campaign. Neither do we have the time to seek out "influencers" on places like YouTube to promote. This game is each of the developers' second or third job, it takes up most of my free time. Also, the team is a tenth of the size it was before release now- we can only focus on the critical tasks like making sure the game is stable and implementing our feature list when we're not dealing with bugs.

Prior to the launch of PCE, our producer did try to coordinate with news sites and set up marketing opportunities. He did everything from attracting brand tie-ins with tech companies, to scheduling PCE LAN events and sent out press releases, announcements, videos, etc. to hundreds of outlets in addition to appearing on podcasts / doing numerous interviews. It's hard to say for sure, but it didn't seem like the press at large really cared too much. Looking back, the shift from Genesis to a revamp of the original game might have contributed, since we didn't have the bling bling Unreal 4 hype anymore. That said.. before the game launched on PS4 we were still at least being reported on every now and then, but after Extinction debuted interest just seemed to go away.

We tried as best we could for most of the first year to notify every site we could whenever there was an update to draw in players, even making small promotional microsites to tie in with the updates that they could point to, but few reported on this. An actual marketing company was brought on for a time, redesigning the main homepage and overhauling the social pages, but it's hard to say if they've done a lot to improve the game's publicity.

On a more positive note, with the PC version we've been holding off on using some of our Steam visibility options for a while now until some longstanding issues (such as network latency, human animations, collision bugs) are fixed. It felt wiser to wait until the game is in better shape to try and grab a bigger audience. With a lot of long in the making features coming to fruition over the past few months, I'm hopeful that we will soon be able to run some deep discounts / promotions, maybe even do a free weekend that might bring in a lot of new blood. It's always possible some sort of promotion could happen on the PS4 side around then as well, but I can't really say for sure.

I understand. I just think this game deserves more attention than some competing games which will go unmentioned.

Thread Information