Close

Thread: Review: 8.5/10

Review: 8.5/10

Anyone who likes Jurassic Park and video games will love this game. However beyond that are many issues, mostly related to the standards set by other shooter games.

Human characters having the ability to suicide is probably the most frustrating issue the game has. Sometimes not only will a commando do this, but he will rack up two kills or more and give the dinosaur team no credit at all for taking him out because he kamikazes into them. Also, I don't know how someone was doing this, but one game I played as a pterodactyl and the guy was managing to suicide right as I dropped him from height, the moment I let go of him. I've also had an issue of certain times when I should've gotten a kill as ptera, the game treats it when they hit the ground as if they fell to their death without giving me credit. Not to mention people will purposely jump off a height to deny a dinosaur their kill.

Another one of the most frustrating things is when the teams are badly unbalanced, example 2 vs 4, and the game doesn't attempt to auto balance. This happens very often.

I've done some pretty mean things to tyrants. This needs work, I shouldn't be able to kite a tyrant around a metal crate and out-speed his turning radius enough to outright kill him. One of the worst aspects of this is that you can "juke" a tyrant very easily by just running right by him to the side when he charges at you, and often there's nothing the tyrant can do about it. People who know how to exploit this are extremely difficult to kill when you are a tyrant. I really can get more kills and less deaths as a different class, so all I'm really doing when I play the tyrant is taking the heat off my teammates by tanking damage and being a target. Often I've seen tyrants do very badly compared to myself when I'm a different class. Tyrants are also the most prone to getting stuck on objects in the environment, but this can also happen to carnotaurus and will likely get you killed.

Many matchups in this game are unbalanced. Tupandactylus is completely overpowered, it's like putting carnotaurus in the sky. The only classes that can even kill it reliably are scientist and trapper, unless the tupa player is very bad and gets itself killed. Oviraptors are stronger than novaraptors in spite of what the tooltip tells you. They are the easiest way to exploit the PS4 game's server issues, jumping so fast that they're literally impossible to hit with anything beyond an impact grenade. I like the way carnotaurus plays but I have to admit he is overpowered, it doesn't take much skill for me to completely avoid death as long as there's a clear path away from humans and toward food.

Speaking of which, it's not just client server hosting that causes latency issues. There have been numerous times where my ping was good and low, but my nova/oviraptor was unable to use its jump attack, or my opponent will disappear and reappear somewhere else. I've actually seen people exploit their own high ping to gain an unfair advantage. So even if you can tolerate having to browse servers to find a low ping, there are still inherent issues with this system.

Shockingly the human characters themselves are quite balanced. My only issue here is that there's absolutely no reason anyone should ever use these weapons: Molotov cocktail, sensor mine, machete, stun gun. Their alternatives are simply better all around. Some of the other weapons like Carbine Rifle are good, but only on Get to the Chopper, when your team is actually focused on an objective instead of running around and not using teamwork which is usually the case on PS4. Otherwise the go-to, most powerful weapons are: Double-Barrel shotgun, Sniper rifle, Assault Rifle, Netgun. If their alternatives could be tweaked, or possibly more sidearms or droppable items, this could make weapons like Tranq Rifle more viable.

Last and most certainly least is survival mode. The most infuriating part is when dinosaurs getting stuck somewhere off the playable map, sometimes ruining an otherwise long survival streak. Not only are there numerous locations which the dinosaur AI will be almost unable to path to you which allows for farming, but this is the only viable play style. You can run around with speed boosts and such things for a limited amount of time, but will very quickly start to die on higher levels, no matter how skilled you are. I even have a hilarious video of stomping on the compsognathus, only for them to build up underneath me and cause a chain reaction to bounce me into the lava on the Geothermal map. I've gotten my trophies for this and will likely not bother playing it again, I find it vastly inferior to the rest of the game.

Regardless of these issues, I still enjoy this game. There are many fun moments, enjoyable PvP most of the time, and surprisingly rich community with all their different skins, customization and play styles. If this game wasn't riddled with bugs and issues it would be a perfect game for any dinosaur enthusiast or gamer who's looking for a unique shooter.

Gameplay value: 7/10
    Replay value: 9/10
    Graphics/visuals: 9/10
    Sound/music: 9/10

Overall 8.5/10

Primal Carnage Team dinosauriac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_yoshi View Post
    Regardless of these issues, I still enjoy this game. There are many fun moments, enjoyable PvP most of the time, and surprisingly rich community with all their different skins, customization and play styles. If this game wasn't riddled with bugs and issues it would be a perfect game for any dinosaur enthusiast or gamer who's looking for a unique shooter.
    Thanks for the generous words, I'm happy you enjoy the game.
    It means a lot to us and to Panic Button as well, I'm sure

We're still trying our best to tweak balance, like bug-fixing it's an ongoing process that can take a long time to get right. Until recently we were preoccupied with adding big ticket items like new modes and weapons, but going forward we're addressing the core of the game and will be getting into the nitty gritty of things like damage values along with potentially re-assessing the roles of the different classes a bit. Hopefully we'll be able to get Extinction into a better place in terms of balance over the next few months and polish off a lot of bugs in the process. With any luck, you'll see these improvements on PS4 as well.

I do agree on the music being very good, very much fits the theme of the game and the audio is really nice too! The game-play and bugs have always been an ongoing problem, very hard to balance and fix things with such a small team. Obviously I am no developer but on most team vs. team games, bugs and balance the main problem, especially with different teams like Primal Carnage and Dino D-Day, a lot harder to balance than games like OverWatch and TF2.

No, thank you dinosauriac! And I agree ReddyUp, but I try to be fair with these reviews, and weigh every game regardless of who is the developer.

Also, I'm editing the first post mention of the Tranq rifle, Carbine Rifle, SPAZ shotgun, and even the Dynamite as those are actually quite good weapons - but ONLY on get to the chopper, or if you are with a coordinated team (which is never the case on PS4). Mostly if you need to protect yourself from dying and can't rely on your team to do so for you, those weapons are not the way to go. I do retain that the molotov, machete and stun gun are useless. I will try the machete again on my own hosted server but I feel the hatchet just outclasses it.

Heres the edited paragraph:
    "Shockingly the human characters themselves are quite balanced. My only issue here is that there's absolutely no reason anyone should ever use these weapons: Molotov cocktail, sensor mine, machete, stun gun. Their alternatives are simply better all around. Some of the other weapons like Carbine Rifle are good, but only on Get to the Chopper, when your team is actually focused on an objective instead of running around and not using teamwork which is usually the case on PS4. Otherwise the go-to, most powerful weapons are: Double-Barrel shotgun, Sniper rifle, Assault Rifle, Netgun. If their alternatives could be tweaked, or possibly more sidearms or droppable items, this could make weapons like Tranq Rifle more viable."

Thread Information