Close

So...how exactly do skins/keys work?

Like the title says. I just now saw the PCE skin index site with varying level of rarity between skins. I thought you could only get them through the store, but apparently this isn't correct? Would also like to know how the Workshop Celebration Key #2 works, I can't seem to find a use for it. Just got the game so this is a bit confusing to me, would appreciate some help.

Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay.

To answer your questions, only a few skins are available through the in-game store. The vast majority of skins are acquired through in-game drops, like in Team Fortress 2, either as individual skins/cosmetics/taunts that appear in your inventory during a match, or by unlocking crates that you've gotten from the game during a match with a key that you purchased from the in-game store.

However, you can also spend money on skins/cosmetics/taunts through Steam's Marketplace. That's how I got most of my items, personally.

As for the Workshop Celebration Keys, they are specifically designed to unlock Workshop Celebration crates. Typically, these special crates are given a specific title to correspond with a specific crate. In your case, Workshop Celebration Key #2 will only work on Workshop Celebration #2 crates. The formula is exactly the same with #1 crates and #1 keys, Halloween Keys and Halloween crates, etc.

Long story short, as long as the special crates and special keys match, they should work. Normal crates, like Dino Crate #4 or Human Crate #2, share the same normal key to unlock.

I hope I've answered your questions.
    Avid supporter of hybrid dinosaurs in PC:E.
    My short-faced bear, and Velociraptor auditions.

That answered pretty much everything! Thanks.

Just wondering - how do you get the Workshop Celebration crates? Are they a random drop too?

Yeah, they're random drops. However you can also buy them from the Steam Marketplace.
    Avid supporter of hybrid dinosaurs in PC:E.
    My short-faced bear, and Velociraptor auditions.

Thread Information